ICDRI's logo

Translate this page automatically. 

Main Body

Google
 


 

 

Test your Site for Accessibility with Cynthia Says

 

 

Home
About Us
Donations
Accessibility
Technology
Calendar
Site Map
Register
Create
Activities
Sponsorship
Products/ Services
Books
Contact
Privacy Policy

 

 

Health and Indigenous Women of the U. S. 

Resource Summary Page

 

Resource: THE HEALTH STATUS OF INDIGENOUS WOMEN OF THE U.S.: AMERICAN INDIAN, ALASKA NATIVE AND NATIVE HAWAIIANS

Pamela J. Kingfisher, in collaboration with the Center for Research on Women and Gender, the University of Illinois at Chicago.

Associated Organization: University of Illinois at Chicago

Country of Origin: USA

Address: 

City: 

State or Province: 

ZIP or Postal Code: 

Telephone: 

TTY 

Fax: 

Email: 

Site Summary: 

Women are the first environment 5. Indigenous women have understood this concept for generations. Women shape the future, not only through reproduction, but also as keepers of culture and the traditional healing knowledge of the grandmothers. But how well are indigenous women of today able to nurture themselves and their families? What is the state of our health, and what are we doing about it? Before we try to answer these questions, we must also examine why indigenous women's health status would be different from women of the general population.

 

Reviewing the health status of indigenous women of the U.S., more narrowly defined as American Indian and Alaska Native (AI/AN) and Native Hawaiian, has been a very difficult task for many reasons. In 1974, Congress expanded the definition of Native American to include Native Hawaiians. Much of the research on AI/AN has been grouped together, but most Native Hawaiian research is coupled with Asian/Pacific Islander. This general category is made up of thirty cultures, with Asian as 93% of the total. Of the remaining 7%, Hawaiians are the most numerous at 66%2. Native Hawaiians comprise only 13% of the population in Hawaii 3. In all three groups it is necessary to abstract women's statistics from the general information, as there are very few studies done specifically on Native women. The health status of all three groups of women are strikingly similar, as are their general circumstances; all are indigenous, all experienced colonialization and a collapse of their traditional cultural systems which are main factors in their poor mental and physical health. When I speak of all three, I will refer to them as Natives.

 Quoted from the Web Site

Disability Association(s): All Disabilities 

Internet Location: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/canusa/papers/usa/english/indigen.htm

Internet Resource Type: Web Page

Resource Type: Research Paper, Hawaii & Pacific  Islander Resources

 

 

 

Google Enter your search terms Submit search form
 
Web www.icdri.org

Copyright 1998

 

Copyright 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 International Center for Disability Resources on the Internet Disclaimer and Privacy Policy